WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Anyone using gitolite on their WebFaction account yet? I have gitosis running but dislike it do to lack of documentation and I also have it set up weirdly so anyone added to my gitsosis conf also as ssh access to my account. :O

So, has anyone done it? Any advice?

https://github.com/sitaramc/gitolite

asked 03 Jun '11, 14:24

chrisr
accept rate: 0%

edited 03 Jun '11, 14:26

I'm wondering the same thing. The non-root install doesn't work with webfaction due to the fact that gitolite uses $HOME/.gitolite for it's operations when we need $HOME/webapps/website_name/.gitolite

(04 Jun '11, 12:34) Brett Alton

I don't have any experience with Gitolite, so I'll leave the answer blank in case somebody else does.

According to the Gitolite docs, it "lets you use a single user on a server to host many git repositories and provide access to many developers, without having to give them real userids on or shell access to the server".

If that's your goal, then you can accomplish that by serving your repos from a Git web app installed via our control panel. More information is available in our Git documentation.

Hope that helps!

(04 Jun '11, 13:06) seanf

@Brett I don't know that is the case. My gitosis setup is in $HOME/gitosis-admin.

@seanf I imagine that gives default Git setup, with a git user/password. I want something similar to gitosis where ssh keys are used for control and have permissions and such.

I suppose I'll give installation a try and see what happens. Thanks both of you.

(05 Jun '11, 16:29) chrisr

gitolite is indeed vastly superior to gitosis. You should be able to install and use it pretty much out-of-the-box; in other words, I can't see any Webfaction-specific reasons why difficulties would be encountered upon installation.

The main advantage of gitolite is that you can specify finer access control than can be achieved with the standard WebFaction Git repository installation. But in many cases this fine control isn't necessary, and the versatility of having simple push-pull over HTTP often makes the WebFaction one-click installer nonetheless more desirable.

Hope that clarifies!

permanent link

answered 18 Jun '11, 02:34

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93460
accept rate: 43%

Just a note in-case anyone finds this thread, I wrote some Webfaction specific instructions on how to install gitolite on this community post.

permanent link

answered 08 Mar '12, 02:56

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×9

question asked: 03 Jun '11, 14:24

question was seen: 3,871 times

last updated: 08 Mar '12, 02:56

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM