WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've implemented the W3 Total Cache plugin on my personal site, and it's working smoothly. I've definitely noticed an improvement in page load time.

Is that enough to survive the Digg Effect you've written about on the Webfaction blog? Or should I look into using memcache as well? What are your recommended best practices for scalable WordPress implementations?

Thanks.

asked 05 Nov '10, 11:28

adebarros
accept rate: 0%

Using W3 Total Cache on Webfaction required hand tuning of .htaccess files, cause using the rules generated by W3TC gave 502 - Bad gateway. Today I'm seeing that my sites are working with W3TC rules too, and serving cached pages just fine.

Have you WF guys recently enhanced the underlying server logic to handle W3TC with nginx out of the box, and it's time to say "kudos on you", or I'm probably drunk/looking at an hologram?

(11 Nov '10, 06:19) htrex

We haven't made any special changes to related to W3 Total Cache.

(11 Nov '10, 06:23) tie

http://forum.webfaction.com/viewtopic.php?pid=18352#p18352 so is this info still true?

Even reloading many times the same page (deleting my browser cache) I was getting page cache misses with W3TC auto .htaccess config, now enabling W3TC debug messages I'm getting cache hits instead.

(11 Nov '10, 06:45) htrex

The info regarding environment variables at http://forum.webfaction.com/viewtopic.php?pid=18352#p18352 is true for servers running our new Apache setup (web120 and up).

(11 Nov '10, 08:42) tie

Filesystem caching seems to be good enough for most of our users, but if you think you'll benefit from using memcached, feel free to give it a try. One good way to test the effectiveness of your caching strategy is to use a service like LoadImpact to simulate traffic to your site.

Other than caching, another way to improve your site's performance is to optimize your static media, either by using a CDN (configurable in W3TC) or by using a static-only symlink app on your WF server. For example, to serve your uploads via a symlink app:

• Create a "symbolic link to static-only" app, pointing to /home/you/webapps/your_wp_app/wp-content/uploads
  • Serve the symlink app from your site on URL path /wp-content/uploads

In that configuration, your static media will be served directly from our front-end nginx server, instead of from the backend server that processes your PHP scripts.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 05 Nov '10, 12:39

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks, Sean. Can you point me to any documentation you have on using memcached with WordPress? If using memcached, would I need to disable the W3 Total Cache plugin?

And just some clarification on the static media config, please. When I create the static-only symlink app, I would place /home/you/webapps/your_wp_app/wp-content/uploads in the "extra info" field, correct? I could name the app itself anything I like?

Thanks for your help!

(05 Nov '10, 13:27) adebarros

Regarding memcached:

1. Create a 'custom app listening on port' application in the control panel and make a note of the port assigned to the app. You can name the app whatever you like.
  2. Launch memcached with the following command: memcached -d -l 127.0.0.1 -m XX -p YYYYY (where XX is the desired cache size in MB and YYYYY is your assigned port). Be sure you don't use more RAM than you have available on your hosting plan.
  3. In your W3TC memcached settings, point it at 127.0.0.1:YYYYY (where YYYYY is your assigned port).

Regarding the symlink app:

• Yes, the path goes in the 'extra info' field.
  • You can name the app whatever you like.
(05 Nov '10, 14:24) seanf

Also, if I wasn't clear, don't disable W3TC - you use memcached in conjunction with the plugin.

(05 Nov '10, 14:26) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×245

question asked: 05 Nov '10, 11:28

question was seen: 8,993 times

last updated: 16 Nov '10, 11:58

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM