WebFaction
Community site: login faq

This is my attempt to explain where I've been so others can find the answers faster.

First I attempted to install Bugzilla, but couldn't get the perl module DateTime to install.

cpan -i DateTime

I tried opening cpan and then using the force option,

cpan

force install DateTime

which basically bypassed all the tests, but I still couldn't get Bugzilla to run on Webfaction. Not sure why.

So I submitted a trouble ticket, and they suggested that instead of Bugzilla, I might try Trac (offered as a one-click-install on Webfaction) or Redmine. Since Redmine is a ruby-on-rails app, that's what I chose. So here is what I went through to get Redmine up and running on Webfaction.

I started with the Webfaction instructions for Redmine, with slight deviations.

The Webfaction instructions assume that you are installing a version of Redmine from trunk r2887 to trunk r4903. I used a current trunk (revision 6000) instead, so after I had to upgrade rails to version 2.3.11.

gem install rails 2.3.11

For some reason rack didn't seem to be installed, so I

gem install rack -v=1.1.0

as shown on the Redmine website, http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/RedmineInstall

I decided to use a Postgres database instead of MySQL, even though WebFaction and Redmine both favor MySQL for this purpose. The redmine site advised:

“make sure your database datestyle is set to ISO (Postgresql default setting). You can set it using: ALTER DATABASE "redmine_db" SET datestyle="ISO,MDY";

Which I did. I also installed the Postgres ruby adapter:

gem install pg

My databases.yml file was a bit different, since it's using postgres. Here it is, passwords removed:

production: adapter: postgresql database: username_redmine host: localhost username: username_redmine password: "xxxxx"

Once I got it all running, I had to log in to Redmine as admin to change the outgoing email address for automated mailings, as well as change the link at the bottom of those mailings because by default they give a link with a “http://localhost:3000/” in it, which isn't useful.

And other than that, everything is working except the “authentication by email” option. So I'm approving users manually. But I'm up and running, and quite happy with it.

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 06 Jun '11, 07:48

jackdesert
accept rate: 0%

Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×109
×46
×6
×1

question asked: 06 Jun '11, 07:48

question was seen: 5,586 times

last updated: 06 Jun '11, 07:48

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM