WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm using an iPhone 4 to check my Webfaction email via IMAP.

I delete spam regularly, but on my desktop PC I check email via a little POP3 tool that shows the contents of my POP3 mailbox. Whenever I delete messages on my iPhone, they still show as unread in the POP3 mailbox.

If I login via RoundCube, those messages show in the inbox but are gray and marked as deleted, and a copy of them is in the "Deleted Messages" IMAP folder which the iPhone has created.

Is there a way to solve this or is this simply a limitation of POP3?

Can Webfaction change their POP3 settings to make messages not show up in your POP3 inbox once marked deleted over IMAP?

FWIW, I noticed the iPhone mail account Settings defaults to the Deleted folder as "Deleted Messages (on Server)". I could change this to "Trash (on Server)", which is where the RoundCube deleted messages go. Would this solve my problem?

PS: The iPhone has a setting for Removing Deleted Messages. I set it to One Day. This does work, after a day goes by, my deleted messages no longer appear in POP3 or anywhere. But I'd much prefer if POP3 did not show my (marked as) deleted messages to begin with.

asked 15 Jun '11, 18:30

JoshS
accept rate: 0%

edited 15 Jun '11, 18:33

We will not change the default POP settings as it may alter the way thousands of users expect it to work. You should not use POP and IMAP together on the same mailbox as issues like this will occur.

permanent link

answered 15 Jun '11, 19:31

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

In that case, what do you recommend for my situation?

I am concerned if I use strictly IMAP only, I don't truly have control/ownership of my email data. If WebFaction's servers were corrupted, all of my email would be lost. So POP3 allows me to periodically download the email onto my HD for permanent safe keeping and backup.

Also, if I only use IMAP, won't my email pile up on WebFaction's servers and take an increasingly large amount of space?

(15 Jun '11, 20:02) JoshS

You may use POP and IMAP together, but you must work around the inherent limitations. They are different protocols so we do not have a way to set what you are asking. That being said, you can empty the trash on the IMAP server after deleting the messages. All 'delete' in an e-mail client does is move them to the trash, which is a physical directory in the mailbox itself, once removed from the trash they are physically deleted from the server. You can use an IMAP client to make bankups locally and than delete the messages afterwards or use POP and the limitations it has.

(15 Jun '11, 20:31) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261
×22
×7
×3

question asked: 15 Jun '11, 18:30

question was seen: 4,777 times

last updated: 15 Jun '11, 20:31

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM