WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to test teamspeak (most importantly the memory used) on the webfaction server. I run it and tell it to listen on a port of a custom application but it appears as if the connect requests are not making it to the teamspeak server.

Has anyone gotten this working before?

asked 17 Jun '11, 14:59

archaeopteryx
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

Unless you've requested the port be opened on a dedicated IP address, all ports are blocked by default. So all you need to do is get a dedicated IP address, if you don't have one, then ask support to open the requested port in the firewall for your dedicated IP address.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 17 Jun '11, 15:10

klynton
1.6k1210
accept rate: 41%

But isn't this the purpose of the port number on a custom application?

(17 Jun '11, 15:23) archaeopteryx

Hi,

No. Almost all applications have a port number (Django, CherryPy, Zope, Rails, etc.) so that our frontend Nginx server can route the requests to the appropriate application. That's the point of the port number.

What you want to do is bypass that Nginx frontend and have your application speak Teamspeak to the world rather than HTTP, which you can't do without us opening a hole in the firewall to allow direct connections to the port you were assigned.

(17 Jun '11, 15:32) klynton

Ah, so then I assume I won't be able to run it on my shared hosting account? :)

(17 Jun '11, 15:35) archaeopteryx

Hi,

You can. I've installed Mumble and Teamspeak on my personal account. All you need is a dedicated IP address and an email to support asking for the port to be opened and then you'll be set. (You'll also need to configure Teamspeak to use your dedicated IP address.)

(17 Jun '11, 15:37) klynton

I won't be getting a dedicated address any time soon, so thanks for the help anyway :D

(17 Jun '11, 15:39) archaeopteryx

NOTE: You no longer need a dedicated IP address to run TeamSpeak at WebFaction. Just open a support ticket and request that the TeamSpeak ports be opened for you on the shared IP: ports 9987, 10011, 30033, 41144.

(10 Sep '13, 18:47) likebike
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

It is easy to run TeamSpeak 3 on WebFaction. It typically uses around 30MB of RAM.

Step #1

First, open a support ticket and request the TeamSpeak 3 ports to be opened for you: 9987, 10011, 30033, 41144. You do NOT need a dedicated IP address for this. (You used to need one, but not anymore.) WebFaction Support will reply and tell you what IP to bind to.

Step #2:

Modify the first line and then copy-paste these lines into SSH to install and start TeamSpeak:

YOUR_IP=1.2.3.4     # Replace this with the IP from Step #1.
ARCH=x86; [ "$(uname -i)" = x86_64 ] && ARCH=amd64
mkdir -p ~/teamspeak3 && curl http://webfaction.likebike.org/teamspeak3-server_linux-${ARCH}-3.0.8.tar.gz | tar xz --strip 1 -C ~/teamspeak3
(crontab -l; echo "*/20 * * * * ~/teamspeak3/ts3server_startscript.sh start 'voice_ip=$YOUR_IP filetransfer_ip=$YOUR_IP query_ip=$YOUR_IP' >>~/logs/user/teamspeak.log 2>&1 &") | crontab
~/teamspeak3/ts3server_startscript.sh start "voice_ip=$YOUR_IP filetransfer_ip=$YOUR_IP query_ip=$YOUR_IP"

Your administrator loginname, password, and key token will be auto-generated and printed to the screen. Jot them down somewhere so you can log in to your server, which is now running on the IP from Step #1. Go ahead and connect with the TeamSpeak 3 Client, available here:

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

You're Done! Easy, right?

~Christopher S, WebFaction Support

permanent link

answered 10 Sep '13, 19:12

likebike
accept rate: 28%

edited 11 Sep '13, 00:59

Sorry I know the question is old, if I need to update the server, can I just download and extract the new one over the existing one? Because you have a custom zip and I have no idea what did you put there, expecially what's the difference with the one downloaded from teamspeak website.

(17 Nov '13, 21:44) FireDragonDoL

There's nothing special about the tar.gz file shown here - it's just a mirror of the official one:

ryan@RyanDesktop:~$ curl 'http://webfaction.likebike.org/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.8.tar.gz' 2> /dev/null | md5sum
881029ecd0136436077ab931e3ef8966  -
ryan@RyanDesktop:~$ curl 'http://files.teamspeak-services.com/releases/3.0.8/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.8.tar.gz' 2> /dev/null | md5sum
881029ecd0136436077ab931e3ef8966  -

Using webfaction.likebike.org just helps to be sure that the link never breaks.

So, to answer your question - yes; you can use the later version from the Teamspeak download site without issues. Hope that helps!

(17 Nov '13, 23:03) ryans ♦♦

Thanks a lot, yes I was testing and messing with server and I noticed the zip file is the same, it perfectly works. I managed to easily install it on webfaction, really satisfact, you should add this tutorial to webfaction knowledge base!

(18 Nov '13, 11:36) FireDragonDoL
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×98
×3

question asked: 17 Jun '11, 14:59

question was seen: 7,437 times

last updated: 18 Nov '13, 11:36

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM