WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm presently evaluating moving my various hosting operations from my CPanel based VPS setup to WebFaction. So far the sysadmin problems I've been faced with in trying to setup what I have now found to be working here already are making this a compelling solution, however, having resolved/tested the majority of my migration issues in principle, my remaining critical issue is how to deal with is how to migrate a number of mailboxes.

As this is from a VPS, I have complete backend root access to my system, but mailserver admin is not a strong suit for me, so I need some advice and help on how best to achieve a (an ideally seamless) transition from the typical linux/cpanel/dovecot based setup to having the email accounts hosted here.

Has anyone else been through this process? Can they provide some advice on the steps I should take and any potential gotchas please?

Thanks in advance Carl.

asked 19 Jun '11, 13:09

Carl Marshall
accept rate: 0%

I should also point out I've done a little bit of searching through this forum and not found a suitable answer yet. The closest has been http://community.webfaction.com/questions/2938/import-mailbox, but this solution isn't practical for me as I don't have all the passwords for the accounts and it's not an ideal solution to disrupt my other users by changing their passwords whilst I migrate their mail via a third (untrusted) party.

(19 Jun '11, 13:12) Carl Marshall

You can't have a seamless transition if you don't know your users' mailboxes passwords, for two reasons:

1. When you create mailboxes in our control panel, they are assigned random passwords. So, if your users want to use their old passwords, they'll need to change their WebFaction mailbox passwords anyway.
  2. An IMAP-to-IMAP migration requires that you know the passwords on both ends of the migration.

If you don't want to use MailJumpr, then you can do the IMAP-to-IMAP migration yourself by using imapsync, which will set you back around $45.

It might be possible to avoid an IMAP-to-IMAP migration altogether. If you have direct access to the user's mail directories, and they are in Maildir format, then we might be able to load them directly into the new mailboxes that you create on WebFaction's servers. Just upload them into your home directory on your WebFaction web server and let us know (via a support ticket, not here please) how they map to the mailboxes that you've created here, and we'll try to load them for you.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 19 Jun '11, 13:46

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×44
×38
×4

question asked: 19 Jun '11, 13:09

question was seen: 4,684 times

last updated: 19 Jun '11, 13:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM