WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Is it possible to use OSQA Install Script to install osqa on mysql database?

asked 19 Jun '11, 19:50

hamed
accept rate: 0%

Yes. I was able to get OSQA installed with MySQL using the OSQA install script. All you need to do is:

1.) Copy the raw install script text at https://wiki.webfaction.com/wiki/OSQATrunkInstall?format=txt

2.) Make the following substitutions:

Line 60:
    api.create_db (db_name, pwd,'postgresql' )
    api.create_db (db_name, pwd,'mysql')

Line 69:
    api.system("""sed -i 's/DATABASE_ENGINE =.*/DATABASE_ENGINE = "django.db.backends.postgresql_psycopg2"/g' %s""" % settings_file)
    api.system("""sed -i 's/DATABASE_ENGINE =.*/DATABASE_ENGINE = "django.db.backends.mysql"/g' %s""" % settings_file)

Line 83:
    api.delete_db (db_name,'postgresql')
    api.delete_db (db_name,'mysql')

3.) Create a new application of type "Custom Install Script" and choose "show script source". Then paste all of the text between the -----BEGIN WEBFACTION INSTALL SCRIPT----- and -----END WEBFACTION INSTALL SCRIPT----- header and footer.

This should create a new OSQA instance that uses MySQL.

permanent link

answered 19 Jun '11, 20:24

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103960
accept rate: 43%

Thanks , but How can I use latest version form SVN?

(20 Jun '11, 00:55) hamed

You can do this by modifying the section under "download osqa and shuffle folders" to use a svn checkout.

That said, our OSQA script actually did originally use the latest svn check-out by default. But it would continuously break, cause strange errors, or be generally unstable. Then later changes in the SVN would fix those problems (and introduce new ones). The result is that there was no consistency in using the latest version from SVN, and this is expected since the latest SVN is just a work-in-progress. It was considered a great improvement when we modified the script to work with the latest released version at the time, rather than relying on the SVN checkout.

So, instead, the best way to get a newer version is just to modify the "wget" line of code in here to download a later release version. Release versions tend to have fewer bugs in general.

(20 Jun '11, 01:05) ryans ♦♦

I installed osqa by hand and configured it to use mysql. However, the search is broken. Is it related to mysql (found reference here: http://meta.osqa.net/questions/8198/why-search-engine-is-not-displaying-nothing-no-matter-what-keyword-i-enter)

Does search work with postgresql?

(31 Jul '11, 13:09) michalis
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×43

question asked: 19 Jun '11, 19:50

question was seen: 13,186 times

last updated: 31 Jul '11, 13:09

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM