WebFaction
Community site: login faq

What do I need to do to install plone at a subfolder of my domain?

I understand I need to edit the Virtual Host Monster. Where does that file reside and what would it look like if I want my plone to live at mydomain.com/pone?

asked 28 Jun '11, 12:18

bradrice
accept rate: 0%

The virtual host monster (aka the VHM) is not a file - it is an object named "virtual_hosting" that resides at the root of your ZODB in the ZMI.

If you want to serve Plone from mydomain.com/plone then you don't need to do anything with the VHM at all. Instead:

1. Add your domain to the control panel: Domains
  2. Create a Zope/Plone app in the control panel: Apps
  3. Create a site in the control panel, using the domain you created in step 1, serving the app you created in step 2 on URL path / : Sites
  4. Log into your ZMI.
  5. Create a new Plone site object named 'plone'

When that's done, you'll be able to access Plone at mydomain.com/plone.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 28 Jun '11, 12:33

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

In step 3. what if something already lives at '/'? I wanted to create a site at '/plone'.

(28 Jun '11, 12:45) bradrice

Our hosting platform currently does not support running Zope on any URL path other than the root - you can do it, but the URLs that Zope generates will be wrong, so you'll have broken CSS, forms won't submit properly, etc.

One workaround for that would be to run your Zope behind a custom Apache or Nginx instance, serve that custom app on '/plone', and then configure it to proxy requests to your Zope with Zope-specific rewrite rules, eg those shown here: Zope and Apache

The problem there is that because Zope and Plone use so much memory, you probably won't be able to run an additional proxy to make that possible.

Another workaround would be to create a new subdomain for your domain, and run Zope on the root of that, eg make your Plone site available at sub.mydomain.com/plone or even sub.mydomain.com. If you want to do the latter, instructions are available here: Serving Plone at a Root URL Path

(28 Jun '11, 12:54) seanf

So I guess if I want to run another webapp in addition to plone, I should put plone at '/' and the other app at a subfolder site?

Thanks for the help.

(28 Jun '11, 13:07) bradrice

You're welcome! Yes, that's absolutely do-able.

(28 Jun '11, 13:12) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×75
×23

question asked: 28 Jun '11, 12:18

question was seen: 7,846 times

last updated: 28 Jun '11, 13:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM