WebFaction
Community site: login faq

In this environment, would there be any drawbacks to creating multiple schemas in a single database instance?

I currently have a separate DB instance for development, staging, and production, but only because I just now saw the option to create additional schemas within the same instance. I only hesitate because it's usually better to truly segregate prod and development servers, but I'm not sure if it really makes much of a difference here. They are all in the same "system" anyway.

A benefit of having them in a single instance would be to easily move data from production to development.

Thoughts?

Thanks

asked 30 Jun '11, 16:21

Rupe
accept rate: 0%

It is all up to you. Personally I like keeping dev and stable work as far apart as possible, so I would never place them in the same DB. You also have no penalty for using multiple DBs on the account, you are limited by the actual size of the DB. So there is no real reason not to use multiple DBs, but if you like placing them all in 1 you may.

permanent link

answered 30 Jun '11, 17:06

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

I completely agree with keeping dev separate from prod. I just wasn't sure if it was a moot point in the Webfaction environment, but the size limitation is an additional reason beyond just ideology.

(30 Jun '11, 17:10) Rupe

Another thing to consider, larger databases do tend to use more processing power on average. It is of course dependent upon the queries being called, but in general this is true. If you think the DB is going to be 1 GB or more you might want to keep them seprate.

(30 Jun '11, 17:23) johns

LOL not a chance. I'd be surprised if it hit 100 MB.

(30 Jun '11, 17:40) Rupe
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84

question asked: 30 Jun '11, 16:21

question was seen: 3,958 times

last updated: 30 Jun '11, 17:40

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM