WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello everybody,

have anyone experience with installing the JBoss AS on webfaction ? It there any step by step tutorial ?

Greetings, ameo

asked 03 Jul '11, 14:18

ameo
accept rate: 0%

I've never run JBoss on our servers, but after doing a bit of Googling, I think it might be possible, but it will take a lot of work.

The main issue is that JBoss uses a lot of different ports - reading the JBoss port configuration docs I think there may be over a dozen of them. Since you're on a shared host, you can't just grab ports at random, so you'll need to get a bunch of ports assigned from the control panel and manually configure JBoss to use them.

If you think it's worth the trouble, then the following steps might work (in theory anyway, I haven't actually tried them):

First, go to Apps in our control panel and create a separate 'custom app listening on port' application for each port listed under "JBoss Configuration Files to Change" in the JBoss port configuration docs. This will get you random port assignments that you'll need to configure JBoss to use.

Next, go to Sites in our control panel and create a site to serve whichever app represents the main listener for JBoss (the one that replaces port 8080).

Next, SSH into your server and run the following commands

cd ~
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/jboss/files/JBoss/JBoss-5.1.0.GA/jboss-5.1.0.GA-jdk6.zip/download
unzip jboss-5.1.0.GA-jdk6.zip
cd jboss-5.1.0.GA

Next, use the JBoss port configuration docs as a guide and edit the various configuration files to make JBoss use all of the ports that you got from the control panel.

Finally, start the server:

cd ~/jboss-5.1.0.GA
./bin/run.sh

At that point, you should be able to access your JBoss instance on the site that you created earlier.

Good luck!

permanent link

answered 03 Jul '11, 16:18

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×97
×57
×1
×1

question asked: 03 Jul '11, 14:18

question was seen: 4,016 times

last updated: 03 Jul '11, 16:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM