WebFaction
Community site: login faq

It would be nice to see a dotcms one click installer in my.webfaction.com control panel.

asked 06 Jul '11, 13:15

bradrice
accept rate: 0%

I have 2 clients that would be very interested. One is already using dotCMS and does not like the hosting options currently available and the other is not on dotCMS because affordable hosting is not really available for smaller operations.

It is a very common question on our mailing list and IRC chan. Having another hosting option to send them to would be great not only for you guys but dotCMS as well.

(07 Jul '11, 09:56) Christopher ...

If there is enough demand from our customers for DotCMS, we'll certainly consider adding an installer for it to our control panel.

This is only the third inquiry I've seen for it in as many years, so the demand isn't quite there yet :)

permanent link

answered 06 Jul '11, 13:34

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

I've got a client for it :)

(06 Jul '11, 13:42) bradrice

I don't have step-by-step instructions, but if you need to run it now, then you should be able to install it manually as a custom app.

(06 Jul '11, 13:49) seanf

Since dotcms is java based it can use quite a bit of machine memory. This would be one consideration for somebody hosting a dotcms site. I suppose if Webfaction were to create a one click installer, it would have to be configured conservatively.

(07 Jul '11, 10:54) bradrice

And being Java based means we'd also have to commit to providing Java on all servers and to providing technical support for Java. Neither of which we do now.

Taking those things into consideration, we'd have to get a lot of demand to warrant us doing this.

(07 Jul '11, 11:00) David L ♦♦

Thanks for even considering it. I think webfaction would be the go to host for people wanting a dotcms install if you ever do it.

(08 Jul '11, 06:08) bradrice
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×22
×15
×1

question asked: 06 Jul '11, 13:15

question was seen: 2,820 times

last updated: 08 Jul '11, 06:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM