WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Does anyone know if it's possible to host a subdomain on a separate webfaction account?

I have two shared hosting webfaction accounts, one for our main website and one for our app. This might seem odd but we did this so that if our app started slowing down our website would remain up and unaffected.

All was okay until I tried to add a new subdomain on our new account (e.g. dashboard.domain.com). The admin console complained that this domain already exists and won't let me add it. We currently manage our DNS records from GoDaddy so pointing a subdomain to a different IP isn't a problem, however it's not apparent to me how to setup our website as there's no domain to associate it with.

asked 11 Jul '11, 12:24

kuhnza
accept rate: 0%

You cannot add the subdomain on a separate account yourself, but we can do it for you. If you would like to have that done, then please open a support ticket (from the account that hosts the main domain) to request it.

permanent link

answered 11 Jul '11, 12:30

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Awesome, thanks Sean. I'll raise a ticket right away.

(11 Jul '11, 12:32) kuhnza

May I know why there is such an inconvenience for both sides? If your system waives the main domain check limitation, and just ensure sub-domain name is unique, isn't it a better solution?

(24 Apr '13, 04:36) iceberg

No, because then any domain which uses our nameservers can have additional subdomains added by other users on our system in order to hijack them.

For example, if you own example.com and it uses our nameservers, and someone else creates admin.example.com without your knowledge, it will automatically gain an IP address via our DNS servers and the other user will be able to host websites under a subdomain of your domain.

And, of course, if we disable the DNS generation for any domain which isn't under your account, that would defeat the purpose of unrestricting the domain check in the first place.

(24 Apr '13, 04:41) ryans ♦♦

Yes, we can add a new server at a different datacenter to your account that you can use for your subdomains.

permanent link

answered 12 Sep '15, 17:26

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Perfect, thanks!

(12 Sep '15, 17:42) robertotra

Hi, is it possible also to setup subdomains on different datacenters? Scenario: main website and application in US and separate subdomains in Amsterdam for european subscribers and in Singapore for asian ones. Thanks

permanent link

answered 12 Sep '15, 17:23

robertotra
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104
×76

question asked: 11 Jul '11, 12:24

question was seen: 4,325 times

last updated: 12 Sep '15, 17:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM