WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Thanks to question 241 I have learned how to assign custom permissions for newly created users.

It would be nice to know how could I create a shortcuts to linked folders which exists under different credentials.

For example using article provided above SECONDARY-USER received permission to access APPLICATION located in /home/PRIMARY-USER/webapps/APPLICATION/*. Everything works as expected, however, it is not very clear for user how to access this folder from his home directory which is /home/SECONDARY-USER/. To do so, he suppose to type in full path to desired location which is not very convenient as path might be very long.

On some hostings, which provide cPanel, thay have similar folder structure with shortcuts, for example, folder WWW is pointing to PUBLIC_HTML.

So I'm curious how can I create such a links under user home directory?

asked 07 Nov '10, 13:44

Naz
accept rate: 0%

edited 10 Apr '11, 18:25

Once the secondary user has been granted access to a directory by following the instructions documented at http://docs.webfaction.com/software/general.html#granting-access-to-specific-users, the secondary user can add a convenient symlink to the directory in his home directory with the following command:

ln -s /home/primary_username/webapps/application ~/application

"primary_username" is the name of the account used to log in to the control panel, and "application" is the name of the application directory in the primary user's webapps directory.

permanent link

answered 07 Nov '10, 14:05

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

does it mean that I have to add shell access for this user?

(07 Nov '10, 14:14) Naz

It depends how your user accesses his home directory via FTP. I am using Filezilla on Ubuntu, and the symlink works just fine - clicking on it takes me to the desired location. Some FTP clients may not support this.

(07 Nov '10, 14:28) maryh

I think you'll need to give the extra user shell access in order to allow him to create the symlink. Once the symlink has been created, you can remove shell access and the symlink should work properly in the users SFTP client.

(07 Nov '10, 15:17) seanf

Thanks, I have assigned temporary shell access to be able to make it happen.

(07 Nov '10, 17:35) Naz

Ok. thanks for sharing with us your knowledge. I have been searching for the best answer on how to shorcut another folder and I would like to try this one. thanks

permanent link

answered 11 Apr '11, 04:06

kennychelsea
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×62
×37
×6

question asked: 07 Nov '10, 13:44

question was seen: 8,781 times

last updated: 11 Apr '11, 04:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM