WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I set up Google Apps for my domain about two years ago, and have been using it well for since then.

However, for various reasons, I'm planning to delete my Google Apps account, and then recreate it again at the exact same place (not a different subdomain or something).

I understand that there's a 5-day delay between when I delete the Google Apps Account, to when I can reopen it.

I have backed up all my data from all the services, but right now the only one I am using is the Google Apps' Gmail, which I'd rather not have go down during the five days.

How should I set it up so that all mail to my address (a single address, not more than that), is redirected to another, external mail account?

I do not mind using webfaction's own webmail for the 5 day period, so if't easier to use that directly, I'm game.

asked 22 Jul '11, 23:26

sykora
accept rate: 0%

This should be quite simple, actually. You should configure your domain to use webfaction's MX records or, if you are using our nameservers, just temporarily remove any MX record DNS overrides you may have. It is important to allow time for propagation (a bare minimum of 24 hours), so you will want to do this before terminating your Google Apps account.

Next, set up a webfaction mailbox and email address using the same email address as you are using now. Once the MX records take effect, email sent to your domain will be redirected to WebFaction, and if your email address is set up correctly in the WebFaction Control Panel, then messages will be delivered to the mailbox you specified.

Once the new Google Apps account has been created and configured, you can point your MX records back to Google Apps as before. If you are using our nameservers, the correct DNS Overrides are available here.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 22 Jul '11, 23:42

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103760
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×263
×10

question asked: 22 Jul '11, 23:26

question was seen: 3,707 times

last updated: 22 Jul '11, 23:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM