WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi everybody,

I see that the zsh version that comes installed (at least on the server I'm on, web187) is zsh 4.2.6. I'd like to upgrade it to a newer version, is it possible? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

asked 30 Jul '11, 12:46

Agos's gravatar image

Agos
accept rate: 0%

zsh can be installed as per other GNU Autoconf software as described on our generic software installation page. I have just tested this on a test account using the latest version of zsh (4.3.12 as of this writing) and confirmed that you should not encounter any difficulties during the installation process.

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '11, 20:50

ryans's gravatar image

ryans ♦♦
5.0k42755
accept rate: 43%

@ryan thanks, I've managed to install it without problems. It appears though that since my version of zsh is not in the “approved list” (as per chsh -l). I appended exec $HOME/bin/zsh to my .bash_profile, do you think it's ok or is there a better way? thanks again

(05 Aug '11, 18:31) Agos Agos's gravatar image

Since we can not modify the approved list adding the executable to the end of your .bash_profile so zsh executes upon bash startup should work as a decent patch.

(05 Aug '11, 18:49) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image

After installing, if you are still seeing the old version ('zsh --version'), make sure you look in $HOME/bin and see that the zsh being executed is the new one. When I installed, the new one was at $HOME/bin/zsh-4.3.16 so I had to rename the old one ('mv zsh zsh-old-version') to something else. Then, I moved the new version to 'zsh' ('mv zsh-4.3.16 zsh'). If it still doesn't work, make sure $HOME/bin is in your $PATH ('export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH').

Step-by-step:

1. 'zsh --version' [enter]
  2. Is it the version you were hoping?
  3. If not, 'cd $HOME/bin' [enter]
  4. 'ls' [enter]
  5. Do you see a 'zsh' and a 'zsh-x.x.xx'?
  6. Then move (rename) the old one: 'mv zsh zsh-old-version' [enter]
  7. Also move (rename) the new one so it is the one that gets executed: 'mv zsh-x.x.xx zsh' [enter]
  8. 'cd ~' [enter]
  9. 'zsh --version' [enter]
  10. Is the the new version?
  11. No? Make sure $HOME/bin is in your path. 'echo $PATH' [enter]
  12. Do you see $HOME/bin in the list of paths? No? 'export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH' [enter]
permanent link

answered 22 Feb '12, 09:17

Orbital's gravatar image

Orbital
accept rate: 0%

edited 22 Feb '12, 09:37

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×100
×37
×16
×1

question asked: 30 Jul '11, 12:46

question was seen: 5,272 times

last updated: 22 Feb '12, 09:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM