WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just learned from this question how to password-protect an AWStats application (Static Files, CGI Scripts and PHP Pages), and followed this guide, which worked like a charm! The site is now effectively password protected, however, after entering the username and password the first time, you seem to be logged in from that computer indefinitely. This is a problem when accessing pages from certain computers, where you would desire to "log out" before you leave.

How can you "log out" from the site, so that nobody else can access the protected application from the same computer at a later point? I was unable to find an answer to this on this Q&A site, or in the documentation.

Thanks in advance! :)

asked 30 Jul '11, 18:39

Leif
accept rate: 0%

edited 30 Jul '11, 18:39

There is not (yet) a canonical way to log out of HTTP Authentication, as it is completely browser-side. There are workarounds and certain methods to accomplish this task, but they are likely browser-specific. The best list of explanations and workarounds I have seen on this topic is available here.

permanent link

answered 30 Jul '11, 20:14

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Thanks, ryans! Then I don't think it's worth the effort. It seems to be quite complicated, for something that's not that vital. Thanks a bunch for answering my question! :)

(31 Jul '11, 09:04) Leif
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×69
×45
×18

question asked: 30 Jul '11, 18:39

question was seen: 25,603 times

last updated: 31 Jul '11, 09:04

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM