WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just did a memory check this morning and noticed a cute little php53.cgi process using ~16MB RSS. I checked again just now and it's gone. Any idea where this came from? I recently installed Awstats but I thought it ran using a server-wide PHP.

asked 31 Jul '11, 08:58

swiharta
accept rate: 33%

edited 31 Jul '11, 10:33

Hi,

The php53.cgi process is spawned to run one of your PHP Scripts. You were probably able to notice it because it was taking a bit too long to complete. If you want to see which PHP script exactly it is, you can run the following command:

ps -p <pid> e | cat

(look at the PATH_INFO and PATH_TRANSLATED variables)

permanent link

answered 31 Jul '11, 09:55

todork
1.2k5
accept rate: 34%

Having a similar issue with greedy php53.cgi processes. This solution is not working for me. It seems the process is complete/killed by the time I enter the command with the pid. So it just returns an empty table. How can I get to the bottom of these processes, which WF admins keep having to kill?

(17 Nov '11, 12:22) ebellempire

Short-lived php53.cgi processes are normal and expected if you're using PHP 5.3 applications. Are they causing problems for you somehow?

(17 Nov '11, 12:59) seanf

Well, WebFaction periodically sends me notifications that they have had to kill a php53.cgi process that was running too long/hogging too much memory. I'd like to figure out the source so I can fix the problem, but am not having any luck.

(17 Nov '11, 13:24) ebellempire

Ok, feel free to submit a support ticket via the control panel and we'll be happy to investigate this for you.

(17 Nov '11, 13:29) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262

question asked: 31 Jul '11, 08:58

question was seen: 5,350 times

last updated: 17 Nov '11, 13:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM