WebFaction
Community site: login faq

We are running into a deployment issue with our web application and I am looking for any assistance into solving it.

Basically we have a web application that has its index.php stored in /public_html/ instead of / for security reasons among other reasons. The only way to our knowledge to make this work is via a symlink to the actual root, and then have a website reference the symlink app which in-turn will run the index.php within the /public_html/

The issue at first was that PHP 5.3 was not handling the php file, it was a 5.2 interpreter instead, so webfaction told us to try to specify a different interpreter via ssh and in turn all we get is error 500, with no way to diagnose the issue from there. I submitted a ticket however with no quick response I am hoping someone has experienced similar and can provide some assistance.

asked 01 Aug '11, 14:25

RevisionZero
accept rate: 0%

The frontend error log for your site may help you with the 500 error.

Since linking to php53.cgi and adding the handler didn't work with the application outside of webapps, you may want to consider your own apache+php stack. You'd be able to specific the php version you require, and you could configure apache to serve your app without any linking, regardless of where it resides.

Please reply to our support ticket if you'd like to give this a try.

permanent link

answered 01 Aug '11, 14:53

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×113
×24
×17
×13

question asked: 01 Aug '11, 14:25

question was seen: 3,644 times

last updated: 01 Aug '11, 14:53

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM