WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I started getting this message when running vacuumdb for postgres:

NOTICE:  max_fsm_relations(1000) equals the number of relations checked
HINT:  You have at least 1000 relations.  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_relations".

I don't think I have anywhere near 1000 relations (tables, indexes etc), so is there anything I can do about this? Or is it something for the administration?

I'm on web148.

asked 09 Aug '11, 08:22

kingo
accept rate: 0%

We can not adjust settings on the shared Postgres server, as we must keep all settings uniform across all servers. You would have to build your own postgres server within your home directory to change this setting.

permanent link

answered 09 Aug '11, 17:09

johns
5.4k412
accept rate: 23%

That is understandable. But what is causing this error message, and what are the implications of it if I don't start running my own Postgres instance?

(11 Aug '11, 09:37) kingo

The error is caused because the total number of relations for all users on the shared PostgreSQL service has exceeded the setting for max_fsm_relations.

The implications are that vacuum and other maintenance operations might not work properly, so I'll bring this issue to the attention of our sysadmins so that they can either fix the problem (if one exists) or look into raising the value.

(11 Aug '11, 11:09) seanf

Thanks Sean. Seems like this could severely cripple PostgreSQLs performance, and one of the biggest reasons I'm on shared/managed hosting is not having to worry about issues like this.

(17 Aug '11, 08:56) kingo

What's the status of this? I'm seeing the same issue and don't see a good way to work around it.

(22 Mar '12, 12:41) tclancy

Still looking into it - apologies for the delay, but this issue doesn't seem to affect very many users at the moment.

(22 Mar '12, 12:52) seanf

Ever find an answer for this?

(04 Aug '12, 10:33) tclancy

Not yet, our system administration team is working on the issue. You may want to submit a support ticket so we can track this and get back to you when the issue is completed.

(04 Aug '12, 17:20) johns
showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×109
×2

question asked: 09 Aug '11, 08:22

question was seen: 4,247 times

last updated: 04 Aug '12, 17:20

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM