WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I installed Trac 0.12 and it usually takes 5-6 seconds to load a page. I checked the performance checklist and enabled logging, so I'll see what that shows.

What http server does Webfaction's default trac install use? I see a cgi-bin directory that makes me wonder if it is using cgi, which is supposed to be incredibly slow, but somehow I doubt that would the default install.

Any tips/hints/suggestions appreciated!

asked 15 Aug '11, 15:40

sandinmyjoints
accept rate: 0%

Our default Trac deployment does, in fact, use CGI.

If you want a more robust deployment, you can install a mod_wsgi app from our control panel, and then use that to serve Trac. See TracModWSGI for configuration examples.

Another small optimization would be to create a static-only symlink app to serve your /home/you/webapps/trac/htdocs directory from your site on Trac's /chrome/common URL path. That way, your CSS, Javascript, etc will be served directly by our front-end Nginx server, which means the back-end Apache will have less work to do when it's processing dynamic requests for Trac.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 15 Aug '11, 17:07

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks, I'll try configuring mod_wsgi to server Trac and serving the static files through a symlink. I'm sure those will make a big difference.

(15 Aug '11, 21:54) sandinmyjoints

So I did this but have a problem. Setup: My wsgi_trac app has a URL path of /trac_readsr. The wsgi script works because I see the index page when I go there. My static symlink app serves from htdocs to /trac_readsr/chrome/common. It works because if I go to /trac_readsr/chrome/common/css/trac.css I see that file.

Problem: all the links on the index page omit /trac_readsr from the URL path, so they are all broken. For example, the static media files point to /chrome/common instead of /trac_readsr/chrome/common. I'm not sure how to tell Trac what URL to use for the static files.

Interestingly, the original Trac install I did using Webfaction's defaults does know what URL path to use for its static media, so there is a setting somewhere...I just can't find it.

(16 Aug '11, 14:58) sandinmyjoints

My solution for now is to put trac on its own subdomain, so it can live at /. But if possible I'd still like to know how to make it work at an arbitrary url!

(16 Aug '11, 16:29) sandinmyjoints
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×27

question asked: 15 Aug '11, 15:40

question was seen: 3,697 times

last updated: 16 Aug '11, 16:29

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM