WebFaction
Community site: login faq

This question is related to: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/4686/how-come-i-was-able-to-add-my-domain-name-and-create-a-website-on-it-without-providing-credentials.

It addresses a comment someone made that wasn't answered:

The domain name system maps domain names to ip addresses on servers. However, this mapping occurs only after I create a webfaction application that points to my domain name (tying the server ip address with the domain name). So once I have done this, no one else would be able to alter the contents of the website at my domain since a mapping already exists? However, before I created the mapping by creating a django application, did a window of opportunity exist where anyone could have mapped my domain to their server ips? Also, what would happen if a new person with a different account tried to create an application for my domain, after I had already made an app with it?

asked 20 Aug '11, 14:55

tigger
accept rate: 0%

edited 20 Aug '11, 14:57

So once I have done this, no one else would be able to alter the contents of the website at my domain since a mapping already exists?

Yes - once you've added your domain to your account, no other user can add it to theirs.

However, before I created the mapping by creating a django application, did a window of opportunity exist where anyone could have mapped my domain to their server ips?

No - if you had already added the domain to your account, then no other user could add it to theirs.

That said, there is a window of sorts: if you do not add your domain to your account at all, then some other user could add it to theirs, which would then prevent you from adding it to your account. If that happens, just open a support ticket and we'll help you sort it out.

Also, what would happen if a new person with a different account tried to create an application for my domain, after I had already made an app with it?

When they attempt to add the domain to their account, it will not be added and they will be presented with an error message like "Sorry, this domain is already in our system under another account".

permanent link

answered 20 Aug '11, 15:12

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×128
×69
×3

question asked: 20 Aug '11, 14:55

question was seen: 3,001 times

last updated: 20 Aug '11, 15:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM