WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Whats the easiest way to block traffic from proxy servers? My guess is just have a list of banned referrers? Does a proxy server use the same IP address every time?

asked 09 Nov '10, 07:29

Sean Lambert
accept rate: 25%

By proxy server, do you mean something like Derefer.me? If so, there's no way real way of blocking these using the referer header, as they don't send this header (doing so would defeat the purpose of these sites).

Or do you mean an HTTP proxy or VPN service?

(09 Nov '10, 08:30) David L ♦♦

Yeah, websites like hidemyass.com (pardon the language)

(09 Nov '10, 10:43) Sean Lambert

In that case, you'll need to find out the IP address of the proxy (or proxies) they're using and then manually block them.

By visiting whatismyip.org through the proxy, it gave me the IP they're using: 66.90.73.223. This is likely just one of many IPs they're using, though.

(09 Nov '10, 10:51) David L ♦♦

The Referrer field is actually unaffected by proxy servers, so you can't use it to detect them.

You can ban the IP addresses of proxy servers (most of them use a single IP, though there may be proxies using multiple different IPs), but this is kind of pointless - there are too many of them, and thy are changing too quickly.

There isn't any effective way to block proxies. Furthermore, there is no good reason to block them, as there is a lot of legitimate traffic coming from behind proxy servers (most AOL users, a lot of users in corporate networks, etc.).

permanent link

answered 09 Nov '10, 10:52

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

I see what you're saying. My reasons are that i've had people i've banned are using proxies. Also, my site is only targeted at my school, so i doubt any corporate networks or AOL users would be connecting, but I see what you're saying.

(09 Nov '10, 10:55) Sean Lambert
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×25

question asked: 09 Nov '10, 07:29

question was seen: 25,014 times

last updated: 09 Nov '10, 10:55

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2021 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM