WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hey,

I installed South and tried running the 'python2.7 manage.py convert_to_south appname' command for my first migration...but it gives me the error 'There is no enabled application matching 'appname''. I was wondering if anyone knew what could be going wrong.

Thanks

asked 22 Aug '11, 22:48

iman453
accept rate: 0%

Created this duplicate question, but have my answer now. Not able to delete it. Sorry.

(22 Aug '11, 22:56) iman453

This is actually a somewhat common problem, and makes a fine Question.

In general, a lot of confusion can arise from the term "app", being somewhat overused in this industry. Firstly, WebFaction has WebFaction Apps. They are created in the Control Panel and each reside in their own directory under ~/webapps/app_name . These are connected to a domain via a website record and operates at a higher level than Django.

Django projects themselves have Django Apps. This is an isolated bit of code with its own models.py file and could possibly be included in your INSTALLED_APPS under settings.py. It's possible to have several Django Apps (even within multiple Django Projects) all located somewhere inside of a single WebFaction App. South needs the correct Django app to function, since it operates on the database and on models.py.

Hope that clarifies for anyone else who runs into this in the future!

permanent link

answered 22 Aug '11, 23:07

ryans ♦♦
5.0k103860
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84
×9

question asked: 22 Aug '11, 22:48

question was seen: 4,655 times

last updated: 22 Aug '11, 23:07

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM