WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just moved my friend onto Webfaction from his old host, and set up Google Apps for his account with Webfaction. However, I'm having some trouble setting up IMAP clients to download his inbox.

Here are some symptoms:

• I can send mail from any client (Apple Mail, Blackberry) without any problems.
  • I'm receiving mail and can view all mail through the web interface
  • The following script:

import imaplib
    try:
        M = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL('imap.gmail.com', 993)
        M.login('admin@natewinslow.com', '**********')
        status, count = M.select('Inbox')
        status, data = M.fetch(count[0], '(UID BODY[TEXT])')

print data[0][1]

works fine, and I can view the text of my first email.

• I ran Apple Mail with logging turned on (in /Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/Turn On Logging.scpt. The console says I can log in, and I'm getting a OK Gimap ready for requests, followed by a CAPABILITY request, and a response, but after a further READ, I get a 2.X BAD Too many arguments provided error, and then Mail fails to download any of the email. Googling for this error message didn't turn up any helpful results.
  • I'm able to log in to other Webfaction custom Google Apps accounts using the same Apple Mail client, with no problems.

This probably isn't Webfaction's fault, but I figured I'd ask because I just switched over to this account and it was working fine on the old hosting provider (which, incidentally is way worse than Webfaction). If you can help, or know what's going on, I'd appreciate it; I'm at a loss.

Update: This thread looks like it might have some answers, but I'm still not sure what I have to do to add the correct records: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google%20Apps/thread?tid=2a45f861292acbf9&hl=en

asked 26 Aug '11, 00:06

kevinburke
accept rate: 0%

edited 26 Aug '11, 00:37

johns
5.4k412

I removed the password in clear text from your post.

Have you seen our official docs on setting up google apps?

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html#using-google-apps-for-email

I am not sure what in the other post you are referring to, The title states,

'I am unable to verify my domain because Webmaster Tools service is "not available"'

What part of that post are you referencing?

There is something about a zones file, but that does not apply on our platform nor does it appear to be the issue.

Looing at your domains MX records with the 'dig' utility locally they appear correct and set to google.

Check your configuration in the control panel against the guide and verify you have all the steps completed.

(26 Aug '11, 00:47) johns

Thanks for catching the password; I've changed it in my Cpanel as well.

I agree that the MX records appear correct; I've set up several other domains with Google Apps with no problems. I thought the other post was relevant because when I click on "Verify my domain" in Apps, even though I've already verified it I get a "this service not available" message. I tried making some changes to the DNS settings and I'll try waiting until those propagate.

(26 Aug '11, 10:14) kevinburke

It appears that the subdomains are working now. If you are still having trouble please open a support ticket.

(26 Aug '11, 11:34) timg ♦♦
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×22
×19

question asked: 26 Aug '11, 00:06

question was seen: 4,301 times

last updated: 26 Aug '11, 11:35

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM