WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am almost to my 10GB limit, and am trying to reduce my disk usage. Most of this usage is in the subversion repository.

Used tortoiseSVN to clear out the repository by clicking "repository browser" and then deleted folders. This removes the folder from the repository doesnt it? It did not seem to give any relief on the disk usage quota, but should have clear out a few GB.

Is this the right method for removing and freeing space?

Thank you!

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 26 Aug '11, 09:06

DropTableFSA
accept rate: 0%

Yes this removes the folders from your account. The total in the Control Panel only updates once a day. You can check your total for your account with this command:

du -ch | grep total
permanent link

answered 26 Aug '11, 10:18

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

edited 26 Aug '11, 10:18

Thank you for the method for checking the current disk usage. I added 0.2GB and saw my disk use go up instantly when running the command du -ch | grep total

I still cant seem to free disk space. I deleted a 2GB folder, and my disk use stays at 9.5GB.

Do these folder deletes go into a type of recycle bin? When I used SVN to add 0.2GB the disk use went up. But when I use SVN to delete that folder the disk use did not go back down. Now my use is 9.7GB, and the bartender is going to cut me off soon :)

(28 Aug '11, 10:47) DropTableFSA

Actually, deleting a file in SVN does not really free disk space because it doesn't forget about the file - it keeps information about previous versions of the repository as well, and the file exists there. You might want to take a look at: http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#removal

(28 Aug '11, 10:54) todork

Wow, http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#removal makes it look like a SVN repo is destined to grow (and grow) forever. Now I feel a bit bad that I sometimes treat it like a glorified usb drive to transfer files from one machine to another.

On the good news side I deleted one of my SVN applications and the disk use shrunk by a couple GB. Thanks!!

(28 Aug '11, 11:12) DropTableFSA
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×41
×1

question asked: 26 Aug '11, 09:06

question was seen: 7,789 times

last updated: 28 Aug '11, 11:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM