WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So, I'd like to migrate some WordPress blogs from my old web host to WebFaction. All the blogs are stored with my old web host in ONE MySQL database, named simply "wordpress." Each blog has a unique table prefix (set in wp-config.php), e.g., "blog1_" and "blog2_" (not the actual prefixes).

I guess I'm confused how I'd migrate these blogs to WebFaction. Seems like I could: use the WebFaction panel to create a WordPress app, create new websites, and map the app to the websites. But, wouldn't this just create a whole bunch of default WordPress installations with default "wp_" tables? Also, if I migrate my MySQL server to WebFaction, it seems like a WordPress app created via the WebFaction tool wouldn't know it's supposed to be using that database.

Thinking out loud: should I just install WordPress manually by using the Static/CGI/PHP-5.3 app? Ie, create one folder for each blog in the app directory, and then SFTP my files? Or, is there a "better" way to do what I want to do?

Sorry for the newbie question, I'll get used to this soon, I'm sure.

asked 27 Aug '11, 17:37

anonymoususer
accept rate: 0%

edited 27 Aug '11, 17:38

I would do this to migrate WordPress here,

Create a 'Static/PHP/CGI' application and copy your old wordpress site files over ~/webapps/<appname>/,

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/websites.html

Than use phpmyadmin to upload the db,

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/databases.html

Than edit wp-config.php to use the new DB and password.

And as an extra step to speed things up follow this document,

http://docs.webfaction.com/software/wordpress/advanced.html#serving-uploads-faster
permanent link

answered 27 Aug '11, 17:46

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

Thanks, that's essentially what I imagined. Took to me a little while to realize that you could in fact create new Static/PHP/CGI apps, so I was confused how I was going to map everything. This makes sense now.

(27 Aug '11, 18:53) anonymoususer

The documentation for symbolic links you link to above recommends making a symbolic link for the uploads folder:

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/

But, why not just make a symbolic link for all of wp-content?

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/

Or, for that matter, why not just make a symbolic link for the whole directory?

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/

(29 Aug '11, 14:56) anonymoususer

This option is only needed for the media folder containing the images and other static files. If you linked the entire wp-content folder your php files would not work because the symbolic linked files are served by your server’s front-end process directly, bypassing the PHP interpreter.

(29 Aug '11, 15:41) timg ♦♦

So, basically, I should only use symbolic links for folders that ONLY contain media files? Is that correct?

What if I have say something like this:

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011

... and no other folders within /uploads/. Do I have to make a link for each of those folders, or would it suffice to just make a link for:

/home/username/webapps/wordpress/wp-content/uploads

(29 Aug '11, 19:38) anonymoususer

Yes, that is the purpose of 'static only' apps, to cut out all of the pre-processing typically used by a web-server and just serve the data 'as is', this allows it to be much faster. Adding symbolic links for just ~/wp-content/uploads is fine without specifying anything under it, it will apply to sub-directories and files automatically.

(29 Aug '11, 20:49) johns ♦♦

Thank you!

(29 Aug '11, 22:21) anonymoususer
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×242
×168
×40
×3
×2

question asked: 27 Aug '11, 17:37

question was seen: 4,403 times

last updated: 29 Aug '11, 22:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM