WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I think I've finally wrapped my head around how the whole domain/applications/websites thing works, but there's one thing that is still puzzling me: in the Webfaction Panel, what is the setting under Domain that's called "Normal web traffic (http) is handled by the __ website." for? I thought the purpose of the "Website" section of the Panel was to assign domains to websites, so why does this other seemingly-redundant setting exist under Domain as well (or what does it do exactly)?

Thanks.

asked 02 Sep '11, 01:45

jordanlev
accept rate: 100%

This setting is exactly redundant, as you have suggested. It's a reverse mapping of the website records from the domains. If you have a large number of website records, it's nice at times to be able to immediately see which website record is handling a particular domain. If this doesn't exist, the only option is to begin searching through the (possibly many) existing website records to determine which one a particular domain is using.

That said, you can completely ignore this setting and stick with the standard domain/applications/websites configuration set, with no loss of functionality.

Hope that clarifies!

permanent link

answered 02 Sep '11, 01:51

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93160
accept rate: 43%

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

(02 Sep '11, 02:01) jordanlev
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×15

question asked: 02 Sep '11, 01:45

question was seen: 1,628 times

last updated: 02 Sep '11, 02:01

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM