Can anybody direct me to a resource that explains (or from which I could readily determine) how to upgrade Plone in the WebFaction environment? The plone.org resources are fine, but I have a really poor track record applying what I find there to the more restricted context of shared hosting.

Thanks in advance!

asked 10 Nov '10, 15:22

TriExpert's gravatar image

TriExpert
accept rate: 0%

We do not have any official documentation as the plone upgrade process is complex. However, we are more than happy to assist you if you get stuck or have specific questions on the process via support ticket.

(10 Nov '10, 16:03) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image

What version of Plone are you using right now, and is it a buildout or an old-style Zope instance?

(10 Nov '10, 22:33) seanf ♦♦ seanf's gravatar image

"Plone Version Overview Plone 3.0.4 CMF-2.1.0 Zope (Zope 2.10.5-final, python 2.4.3, linux2) Python 2.4.3 (#1, Sep 3 2009, 15:37:12) [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)] PIL 1.1.6"

And (signalling the depth of my cluelessness) I have no idea how to answer the last question. I created my site using WebFaction's quickie installer, if that's relevant. I've done incredibly little in the way of subsequent customization.

I mean, can I just save my data.fs, install an empty Plone 4 site, and copy back my old data.fs? Wouldn't that be nice! I'm not holding my breath.

(11 Nov '10, 07:46) TriExpert TriExpert's gravatar image

I'm looking at doing this upgrade on my website as well — TriExpert, did that data.fs copy work for you?

(10 Dec '10, 17:48) feesh feesh's gravatar image

There's nothing about our shared hosting environment that's inherently incompatible with the official Plone upgrade guide - so, if you have a specific question about something there and how it applies at WebFaction, feel free to ask.

Your suggestion of copying your Data.fs to a new Plone 4 app will probably work, eg:

1. Create a new Plone 4.0.1 app at https://panel.webfaction.com/app_/list
  2. Assign the new app to your site at https://panel.webfaction.com/site/list (or add it to a new site if you want to test it on a different domain before you switch your live site).
  3. Copy your Data.fs from ~/webapps/old_app/Zope/var to ~/webapps/new_app/zinstance/var/filestorage
  4. Restart the new Zope.
  5. Log into your ZMI, go to the portal_migration tool for your Plone site, and upgrade the site to the latest version.
link

answered 12 Nov '10, 11:23

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
8.0k1726
accept rate: 39%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×25
×22
×16

Asked: 10 Nov '10, 15:22

Seen: 1,728 times

Last updated: 10 Dec '10, 18:00

Plans & prices    Sign up    Why WebFaction?    Contact us    Affiliate program    Support    Legal    Jobs    Blog    Control panel login