WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Would it at all be possible to support nginx "expires -1" in addition to "expires max"?

I've been trying to use the static-only app instead of my own install of Nginx, but had to fall back to my own install because of lack of support for "expires -1". If "expires max" is not chosen, static-only apps don't send any expiration/cache headers and so, by default, Firefox caches them for one tenth of the time since the last modified date. With some apps, I go through spurts of development and then don't touch them again for 3 months (resulting in a FF cache time of 9 days) or a year (resulting in a FF cache time of a month).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I would never recommend a developer use the default setting of no cache/expiration headers (which is handled differently by IE, btw) -- it's behavior is too unpredictable. The settings I would recommend are "expires max" and "expires -1".

asked 05 Sep '11, 12:11

Peter Rust
accept rate: 0%

hello - did you find an answer to this?

(05 Feb '14, 12:08) turgs

I mentioned this on your other comment as well. This was posted before the "expires max" option was available.

(05 Feb '14, 15:07) bmeyer71 ♦♦

Hi Peter - I'll pass your request along to our system admins for consideration. If they decide to implement it, I'll post back here to let you know.

permanent link

answered 05 Sep '11, 16:49

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Thanks, Sean! This is actually related to my request for a manifest mime-type (thanks, btw!) back in November (yes, it has take me that long to finish this app -- it's been an on-and-off project, mostly off): http://community.webfaction.com/questions/713/manifest-files-should-have-a-mime-type-of-textcache-manifest

Firefox creates an "offline cache" for all of the files in the manifest, and goes and checks the manifest file for changes to know when it needs to refresh the files in the offline cache. But when no caching headers are sent, Firefox will layer HTTP caching on top of Offline caching, and will hit the HTTP cache when it goes & checks the manifest file, which is a pain...

permanent link

answered 10 Sep '11, 08:37

peter_rust
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×186
×31
×9

question asked: 05 Sep '11, 12:11

question was seen: 5,261 times

last updated: 05 Feb '14, 15:07

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM