WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just created a new django app (python 2.7, django 1.3.1) and I noticed some changes in httpd.conf. It looks like the number of processes were reduced, and more threads were added. I also noticed these new config items:

WSGIProcessGroup sendwrite_staging
WSGIRestrictEmbedded On
WSGILazyInitialization On
Just curious how, overall, these new changes will impact my django apps, and why they were implemented.

--------- edit -----------
I ended up having to comment out these lines in order to get my django project to work. I was having problems importing django apps, generating a 500 error. Strangely I wasn't getting the typical django debug error page even though debugging was turned on in my settings.py.

asked 14 Sep '11, 17:47

Cole
accept rate: 0%

edited 14 Sep '11, 21:16

We added those parameters as the result from a recommendation from the mod_wsgi developer.

The net effect is that an idle app will use around 10-15MB less memory than it did without those parameters.

permanent link

answered 14 Sep '11, 17:52

seanf
12.2k31836
accept rate: 37%

I just had to comment out the three lines above in order to get my project running. I set-up a staging server and copied over an existing django project into a new django webapp. However, my new staging server wasn't able to import some of the django apps listed in my settings.py. Once I commented out the three lines above, it started working.

I don't know if this is relevant but the two django apps that caused problems were both symlinked from the project root.

(14 Sep '11, 21:12) Cole

Likely, you will want to check your apache config and sys.path that Django is getting. An easy way to do this is to put this in settings.py

import sys
print >> sys.stderr, sys.path

This will send the sys.path that the whole stack is setting to the error log and you can see if any need to be set.

(14 Sep '11, 21:26) johns ♦♦

I'll take another look at this soon, when my current deadline is met. Thanks!

(14 Sep '11, 22:18) Cole
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×905
×29

question asked: 14 Sep '11, 17:47

question was seen: 2,145 times

last updated: 14 Sep '11, 22:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM