WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hey,

I wanted to get a post like this on the forums in-case anyone else is looking for the answer. Be aware, I'm a complete and utter novice at web development. Here are my tips for installing some common extensions:

WebFaction Docs: Static Files, CGI Scripts, PHP Pages

That is WebFaction's official docs, and they do a good job of explaining the process - once you know what process you need help with.

My question was how to install a site analyzer like Piwik or Open Web Analytics, etc. The page above explains it. The rest of my post explains my process.

1. SSH into your root directory
  2. Wget address
  3. Unzip file or tar -xvf file
  4. Webfaction Control Panel - Create an App
  5. Choose Static - This creates a folder in /webapps
  6. Name it, Point it to a website site app eg. /piwik or /owa
  7. Either use an SSH move command or an FTP client to transfer the extracted files to the /webapps/application folder
  8. Look through the application folder for a file similar to "index.php" or "install.php" (this may be different depending on the type of application - owa and piwik are php)
  9. In your internet browser - browse to yourdomain.webfaction.com/piwik/index.php - change this path accordingly

This took me about 2 hours to figure out (more if you count wasted attempts last week). I'm sure there is a better file on this, but I wanted to add this to the community Q&A for anyone interested.

The index.php file is what triggers the installation. Sorry if the end of this post seems rushed.

• Barrett
This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 14 Sep '11, 21:36

satisfiedmin
accept rate: 0%

edited 15 Sep '11, 04:38

Thanks for the post.

(14 Sep '11, 22:13) johns
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×125
×102
×54
×44
×4

question asked: 14 Sep '11, 21:36

question was seen: 3,143 times

last updated: 15 Sep '11, 04:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM