WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello all. I have watched a couple of demos but so much of this is new that I'm trying to start at the very first step in my thinking.(I know very little about web stuff). Using the demo I have django returning the "get to work page" that is served by the webfaction server. Using filezilla I can see my directories allotted to my account. So I understand that django is serving up a page. But I was thinking that I would see Python 26 files like on my home desktop. Now I do see an egg file so does that mean I need to uncompress it somehow? And, then could I actually run python on the webfaction server so that in a terminal from home I can type ' print "hello" ' and in the terminal I would see "hello"? In other words- can I just run Python pretty much like on my home computer without serving any html or anything? Or must I have this served through django?

Thanks.

asked 11 Nov '10, 14:11

darter
accept rate: 14%

edited 11 Nov '10, 14:23

Could you, perhaps, expand on how you intend to use and run your Python applications on WebFaction?

(19 Nov '10, 18:51) Filip Dupanovic

Right now I was just trying to get a hello world page up and see how cgi works. Later I would like a page that can receive forms and "grade" text.

(23 Nov '10, 00:38) darter

If you connect to the server using SSH you can run Python just as you would on your home computer. After logging into the server, enter python. If you want to use a version other than Python 2.4, enter pythonX.X, replacing X.X with your preferred version. For example, python2.5.

permanent link

answered 11 Nov '10, 15:19

aaronh ♦♦
1.3k3
accept rate: 34%

Thanks - that helped. I used putty as the terminal and it worked fine. I got Python 2.4 working but perhaps I need to upgrade to 2.6 using the control panel. Or can I just do this manually now, uploading and decompressing 2.6? Also, I'm just wondering - when I see the names of other users , are those on a small actual hard drive or is this a big virtualized operation set up so it just appears that way.

(12 Nov '10, 15:30) darter

Python2.6 is already installed. To run it, enter python2.6 after logging in using putty.

The names you see are the home directories of our other users on the same server. Because you are on a shared server, you share the hard drive and other resources with the rest of the users.

(12 Nov '10, 15:41) aaronh ♦♦

You may want to add an alias to make "python" e.g. Python 2.6. Note that this only applies to your shell, you still need to be careful to pick the right version in e.g. cron jobs or anything else that isn't always run inside your shell.

(15 Nov '10, 08:57) Deniz Dogan

Thanks to all for responses. I now have the "hello world" page up and python is running a cgi script. I have a few more misc. questions. (1)Is there a better program than putty to open a SSH session and edit files? Right now I use the command "vi" to edit my files. Maybe there is a much easier way to edit these files on my desktop (with GUI) and with a click send them back to my server? (2)I have a django app that has an apache2 directory and I can "restart" apache as needed. So I think I understand that apache "serves" the files. It works. Quite apart from this I have some cgi scripts (Python 2.6 does the cgi) in a static/cgi app but I don't see any apache - so what is "serving" the files. It also "works". Is there some other apache instance always running that I do not need to "restart". I don't get that. Thanks for the help.

Hmmm - I couldn't get "add comment" to work so I chose "answer you own comment" to add this.

permanent link

answered 23 Nov '10, 00:37

darter
accept rate: 14%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×910
×337

question asked: 11 Nov '10, 14:11

question was seen: 3,803 times

last updated: 23 Nov '10, 00:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM