WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am in the process of setting up a WebFaction account. I've added my domain, (e.g. xyz.com and www.xyz.com) I have not yet changed the dns to point to WebFaction, but will do so next week or so. At my current provider, I have several sub-domains, e.g. name1.xyz.com, name2.xyz.com, etc.

My question is, should I set up the sub-domains now, or do I have to wait until after the dns gets changed? Also, where do I add the sub-domains? Do I go to control panel -> Domain/Web Sites, then click on "Add new domains" button at the top? I guess it adds it to the right spot.

Thanks

asked 25 Sep '11, 15:16

Alfredo Jahn
accept rate: 0%

Hi somewhat along the same lines. i currently have on my other server this sort of setup. xyz.com / www.xyz.com and i have these redirecting to a sub-domain called city.eyz.com . This latter domain is the one that has the CMS associated with it ... in webfaction terminology the Apps. I suppose I can create the three domains on web faction as well... but how do i redirect the xyz.com to go to city.xyz.com?

(19 Dec '13, 22:56) baba

You can add the subdomains now if you wish. It is not necessary for the DNS to be changed first.

To add subdomains is exactly the same as adding domains, as you've described above.

I hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 25 Sep '11, 15:40

maryh
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Hi somewhat along the same lines. i currently have on my other server this sort of setup. xyz.com / www.xyz.com and i have these redirecting to a sub-domain called city.eyz.com . This latter domain is the one that has the CMS associated with it ... in webfaction terminology the Apps. I suppose I can create the three domains on web faction as well... but how do i redirect the xyz.com to go to city.xyz.com?

(19 Dec '13, 23:34) baba

@baba You can set up a redirect using the instructions here: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/static.html#redirect-a-domain-with-a-static-cgi-php-app

(19 Dec '13, 23:39) waynek
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×76

question asked: 25 Sep '11, 15:16

question was seen: 4,359 times

last updated: 19 Dec '13, 23:39

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM