WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a secondary domain up and running and when I upload content from my primary account, it works fine. I want to make a secondary account so when others upload content to the secondary domain, they don't have access to other domains.

I went through these steps twice (http://docs.webfaction.com/software/general.html#granting-access-to-specific-users) and found that it didn't work either time - anything uploaded by the secondary account would give a

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access xxxxxxxxxx on this server.

message.

With both of the previous hosting providers I have used, this is a 30 second configuration and doesn't require a detailed understanding of ACLs. I am not a sysadmin. I do not want to be a sysadmin. I just want to host a couple of websites. I am really starting to think that WebFaction was the wrong choice for me...

jorj

asked 01 Oct '11, 10:16

sirjorj
accept rate: 0%

edited 01 Oct '11, 10:16

Regarding the 403 error, that typically does not happen after following the procedure in our documentation. Can you please open a support ticket to let us know the specific apps and directories you're working with so that we can troubleshoot the error?

Regarding the difficulty of setting ACLs, we do realize that fiddling with permissions at the command line doesn't suit all of our customers. We're planning to make this easier in a future update to our control panel.

Hope that helps! Please let us know if you need anything else.

permanent link

answered 01 Oct '11, 10:40

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

edited 01 Oct '11, 10:41

I just submitted a ticket with more detailed information. WebFaction's approach to web hosting is radically different that anything I have used before and I just don't have time right now to learn it. I really hope we can get this working because I really like a lot of what WebFaction has to offer.

(01 Oct '11, 10:59) sirjorj
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×64
×30
×17
×6

question asked: 01 Oct '11, 10:16

question was seen: 2,261 times

last updated: 01 Oct '11, 10:59

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM