WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've just started using hosting on webfaction and I'm trying to understand some basics about how applications fit together. I understand that when I upload static or php files to htdocs that I can run or display them when my browser goes to 'user.webfaction.com/index.html' for example. However, once I install an application I'm getting a confused.

For example, I just installed the cherrypy app. There is a default file called 'site.py' in my installation and when I read the code it would print out the html 'Hello, this is your default site.' I don't understand how I view that page. I tried running 'python2.7 site.py' and then navigating to a few variations of

username.webfaction.com/... but I'm not sure which combination to use.

Is there a standard webpage structure where I can see the results of installing an application?

asked 02 Oct '11, 03:51

womble
accept rate: 0%

edited 02 Oct '11, 03:56

Hi,

Apps and Websites function separately when first created and you have to link them by adding your apps as site apps at particular URL paths in your sites to make them publicly accessible.

You can learn more about it here: http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/websites.html#creating-a-website

and expose your Cherrypy app on a domain/<url-path> by creating a new site or editing your existing one to add a new site app or replace the "htdocs" one.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 Oct '11, 04:04

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

Thanks - yes it does help! I just needed to reread the documentation to understand it a little better.

(02 Oct '11, 05:33) womble
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×54
×32
×4

question asked: 02 Oct '11, 03:51

question was seen: 2,089 times

last updated: 02 Oct '11, 05:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM