WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Is spam assassin only an on/off thing? It would be nice if you could "help" it. I get about 20 spams a day that I filter on my client. It would be nice if I could stop them at the server so I don't even get them. I know I can do this manually using a manual procmailrc on the domain, but It would be nicer to have a front end to do this. I do see less spam than on my previous hosting company, so spam assassin is doing ok, but it sure does miss a lot of spam. Will this change over time?

Thanks

asked 10 Oct '11, 06:40

Alfredo Jahn
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

At this time we do not allow per-user SpamAssassin configurations, so yes, it's only an on/off thing for now.

Most of what SpamAssassin does doesn't need training. There are some rules that are based on bayesian filtering which are trainable, but most are not. Even the bayesian rules are trained automatically so there's no need for explicit training by the end user.

If you are looking for a mail software that you can train, I would recommend that you use Mozilla Thunderbird - it is an excellent mail client with built-in Bayesian anti-spam capabilities.

permanent link

answered 10 Oct '11, 08:03

todork
1.2k5
accept rate: 34%

The mac Mail app seems to handle spam for me, but I have to set up "rules" to do it. The problem is, I want to get my mail on my iPhone (I currently get my gmail, which handles spam pretty well), but I've been thinking of also getting my email for my domain. This is an older address that now gets a lot of spam. If I filter at the client level, I'm assuming I would now get all the unfiltered messages on my phone...

Thanks

(10 Oct '11, 08:16) Alfredo Jahn

Yes, that's correct. I'm not aware of a good client-side filter for iPhone. The SpamAssassin spam recognition should get better over time, but I'm not sure if that would be enough. Another thing you could do is forward to a Gmail account and check your mail on the iPhone via Gmail. Perhaps their spam filtering would be satisfactory for you.

(10 Oct '11, 08:21) todork

I was thinking of doing that, but if I forward to gmail, then it comes from me and may not get filtered correctly. I already get my gmail on my phone. I was hoping to also start getting my domain mail as well. Oh well. I guess I can wait until spam assassin gets better over time. It has gotten better in the last few weeks. Thanks for your help!

(10 Oct '11, 08:30) Alfredo Jahn

You are welcome! I don't think that the forwarding will make too great an impact on the filtering from Gmail. Of course, you can always try using Google apps too.

(10 Oct '11, 08:34) todork

Don't set it up to forward to Gmail. Set Gmail up to pull it in through POP3. This way the headers won't be mangled, you can be sure spam gets filtered and you can set Gmail up to send using your non-Gmail address.

(28 Oct '11, 17:12) Donatzsky
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×125
×4

question asked: 10 Oct '11, 06:40

question was seen: 2,815 times

last updated: 28 Oct '11, 17:12

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM