WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I ran across with Boris Smus's site, which runs on Hyde. Hyde is a static-site generator using Django templates and written in Python. Since Boris has open-sourced his site through GitHub, I'd like to fork that to build my own static site.

But here's the problem. I know nothing about Python, Django Templates or Hyde.

I've mostly spent my time before with WordPress and almost any programming outside of PHP is unknown to me. Basically, I don't know where to start. What to install via my Webfaction panel, in what order and so on. Another thing which I can't get my head around the updating via SSH, how the commands work, all of it. I'm literally at square one with this one.

I'm aware of Octopress, which is static site generator as well, written in Ruby. I'd rather not use it this time, not that it would a bad choice by any measures, but I really like to learn the basics of Python with this.

Since most of you guys are more experienced and comfortable working with Python, Django and maybe even Hyde, I thought I'd ask you, where a newbie should start a project like this? Or should I start it at all?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

asked 17 Oct '11, 06:57

nineslashes
accept rate: 0%

edited 17 Oct '11, 06:58

A good place to get started with Django is our documentation.

There are some good tutorials at Django's official page as well.

I can't personally recommend any resources to get started with Hyde - maybe someone else can?

permanent link

answered 17 Oct '11, 07:07

todork
1.2k4
accept rate: 34%

Thanks todork,

I'll check that tutorial again. Seems that Accessing your data/connecting via SSH tutorial would be helpful as well.

permanent link

answered 17 Oct '11, 07:25

nineslashes
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×337
×125
×7
×2

question asked: 17 Oct '11, 06:57

question was seen: 5,691 times

last updated: 17 Oct '11, 07:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM