WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Recently I discovered that my Redmine 1.1.3 installation had mysteriously stopped working (as seems to have happened here). I noticed that Redmine 1.2.1 can now be easily installed through the control panel, so I set about doing that and migrating the database from the old installation. After a bit of fiddling it works fine, however 'Passenger ApplicationSpawner' and 'Rails' were using about 80MB memory each, easily exceeding my 80MB limit. Webfaction quickly emailed me then killed these processes.

I followed this procedure and the two processes now use about 45MB each, which still exceeds my limit. I've temporarily stopped the app because of this. I didn't note memory usage of Redmine 1.1.3 when it was running but I never received any complaints about it, so I assume that it was under the 80MB total. The previous install was out of the box; I certainly didn't tweak any settings to reduce memory usage. Other people have had this problem too, it seems, but I couldn't find any real solutions in these forums or elsewhere.

Questions:

• Is ~90MB typical for Redmine 1.2.1?
  • Is there anything I can do about it other than what's been mentioned above?

I am using only one external plugin to improve gantt charts (here). My actual usage of Redmine is very light: about 6 small projects and about 5 users.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Ruby, Rails or any of the million other things that Redmine seems to require so my troubleshooting efforts have been minimal.

Any hints or comments would be appreciated.

asked 19 Oct '11, 13:11

brooter
accept rate: 0%

90MB of memory is typical for a Redmine project. You may be able to reduce the consumption as described in this related community guide.

Even with these changes, however, Redmine always uses a lot of memory. If you are primarily using Redmine for issue tracking and source-code viewing, Trac is a good alternative; it won't consume any of your memory (as it runs under the shared Apache) and works with both svn and git repositories.

permanent link

answered 19 Oct '11, 20:28

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Thanks - it's good (but somewhat disappointing) to know that 90MB is typical. For the record, I've already taken the steps mentioned in that community guide. Memory usage totalled >140MB before I did this!

Thanks also for the suggestion of Trac. I'll look in to this and see if it can meet my requirements.

(20 Oct '11, 02:55) brooter

For those who, like me, were bugged with an additional Passenger ApplicationSpawner doubling the ram usage (if only 1 redmine process), try setting "passenger_spawn_method conservative;" in the nginx conf of your redmine application. Thus, no more ram-hungry "spawner" process (but if you need a big pool of redmine processes, this might hurt).

permanent link

answered 06 Jan '13, 09:36

Pascal
accept rate: 0%

Can you provide additional details about where should I put the "passenger_spawn_method conservative;" option ? There is a http block and server block inside the http block.

Online documentation I found said I can put it anywhere, leading me to believe it needs more details.

(18 Mar '13, 11:07) Mandar Vaze

You would be required to use it in the server block if you had multiple server blocks and wanted different spawn methods for each of them.

If that's not the case for you, then put it in the http block, outside of the server block.

(18 Mar '13, 11:27) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×87
×81
×46

question asked: 19 Oct '11, 13:11

question was seen: 5,978 times

last updated: 18 Mar '13, 11:27

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM