WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Are there any options available to customize the webmail? Specifically changing the URL for each mail domain, logo for mailboxes (or even better for groups of mailboxes)?

asked 25 Oct '11, 12:13

Fernando Vaz
accept rate: 0%

I've now installed Roundcube at my own domain as seanf suggested, and created CNAME records that point mail.mydomain.com to mail.webfaction.com and so on.

My concern is with spam. I will have mail sent from user@clientA.com sent through mail.mydomain.com which is actually an alias for mail.webfaction.com. Isn't that very likely to get me caught in spam filters? Should I set up SPF entries for each of my clients? How would these be formatted?

(15 Nov '11, 05:42) Fernando Vaz

Adding SPF records would definitely help. You need to add a TXT DNS override similar to v=spf1 a:smtp.webfaction.com include:domain ~all and you can read more about that in our documentation section here

(15 Nov '11, 06:43) iliasr ♦♦

You cannot customize the visual appearance of our shared webmail system (unless you want to do it on the client side via browser extensions like Stylish, Greasemonkey, etc).

Regarding the URL, you should be able to set up a CNAME DNS alias to point (for example) "webmail.yourdomain.com" at "webmail.webfaction.com".

If you want more control than that, then you can set up your own webmail system and point it at our mail servers. The system we use is Roundcube, which you can download here: Roundcube - Free webmail for the masses

permanent link

answered 25 Oct '11, 13:43

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

If I want to look even a little more "white label", can I create CNAME aliases that point to Webfaction's mail servers and use the aliases in my customers' email client config? Would that work?

(26 Oct '11, 14:59) Fernando Vaz

Sure, that should work.

(26 Oct '11, 15:22) seanf

Before I venture to install my own webmail system, tell me, how hard do you think it would be to tweak this system so that the user can login with his actual Email Address as username (instead of the Mailbox name that we have to use at webmail.webfaction.com). It can be a bit confusing for many users if these two credentials differ (which can happen since Mailbox names don't accept '.' character in between. Thanks in advance.

(15 Feb '12, 16:33) Nico

@Nico - the last time I checked, the "users" table in RoundCube's MySQL database has an 'alias' field for this purpose, but no UI to manage it.

I've tested setting an alias manually, directly in the db, and was able to log into my mailbox using an email address that way.

So, it can be done, so it's just a question of how much work do you want to do to manage your webmail users :)

(15 Feb '12, 16:44) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×47
×24

question asked: 25 Oct '11, 12:13

question was seen: 5,877 times

last updated: 15 Feb '12, 16:44

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM