WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi chaps,

I have uploaded a file to the root of my website (index.html) just to test that it is working fine and the page doesn't show up. Instead i just get a django message:

"It worked! Congratulations on your first Django-powered page. Of course, you haven't actually done any work yet. Here's what to do next: If you plan to use a database, edit the DATABASES setting in myproject/settings.py. Start your first app by running python myproject/manage.py startapp [appname]. You're seeing this message because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file and you haven't configured any URLs. Get to work!"

Not sure if i'm being silly and putting the file in the wrong location? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

asked 27 Oct '11, 13:49

Abs Hassan
accept rate: 0%

Sounds like you have a Django application currently. Django is a web framework in Python and does not work in the way you expect; that is, you don't just upload an index.html file into the Django directory. Django is an excellent framework for building a powerful website though. If you're interested in learning it, check out this book.

That said, WebFaction does support the simpler Static/CGI/PHP application as well. This application type is served by the Apache webserver and you can simply place an index.html file in the directory for it to be served. It looks like this is what you are looking for.

In order to do this, you will want to create a new Static/CGI/PHP application from the Control Panel, then add a domain and website record so that this application can be viewed from that domain.

Once you have created the new application (let's say, for example, that you named it htdocs), a new directory is created:

/home/USERNAME/webapps/htdocs/

Which is where you would upload your new index.html file to. Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 27 Oct '11, 21:17

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93460
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×62
×29
×8

question asked: 27 Oct '11, 13:49

question was seen: 4,805 times

last updated: 27 Oct '11, 21:17

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM