WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I am currently looking at webfaction for hosting my web app. one thing I notice is that php doesnt count as my ram limit, meaning that, I imagine, there is a pool on the server for php appache instances..

That worries me a bit, also does it means that performance wise, shared 1 equal shared 4 for php websites?

asked 15 Nov '10, 11:09

posabsolute
accept rate: 0%

edited 15 Nov '10, 11:09

That's correct - we currently do not count RAM usage for Static/CGI/PHP apps against the RAM quota for your hosting plan. That's because the lifetime of requests for sites powered by those apps is usually very short, so you're not use RAM constantly as you are for long-running apps like private Apache instances for Django, Zope servers, etc.

You won't see any difference in performance between a PHP site running on Shared 1 vs one running on Shared 4 if the site is only running PHP.

You will see a difference if the Shared 4 site is taking advantage of the extra RAM by running memcached, squid, or some other caching app to optimize his site.

permanent link

answered 15 Nov '10, 11:20

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thx, make sense to use memcached with the extra

(15 Nov '10, 12:27) posabsolute
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262

question asked: 15 Nov '10, 11:09

question was seen: 2,684 times

last updated: 15 Nov '10, 12:27

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM