WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I just signed up with webfaction and I'm basically a beginner. I setup an OSQA instance that promptly gobbled closed to 90 MB of memory and I received a message from the webfaction team advising me that I Was way over my memory limit.

I deactivated the OSQA website in the control panel, so the url now has the webfaction "coming soon" message, but after I stopped the apache instance, it restarted after 20 or so minutes and is again consuming a certain amount of memory, though not much because the app hasn't actually handled any requests.

My question is how I can get my OSQA experiment to stop permanently until I'm ready to start it again.

On a related note, is OSQA supposed to consume 90MB of memory? If so, can I use a different server other than apache2 that won't consume huge amounts of memory? I have read of some others, like GEvent, that reputedly consume much less.

Thanks all,

Thom

asked 06 Nov '11, 21:58

twneale
accept rate: 0%

Edit the crontab and comment out the line that restarts your app. You can edit the crontab with this command in SSH,

$ crontab -e

You can try to reduce memory by following the Django memory documentation,

Or you can use another server, but you would have to build the stack from source. We do not provide any alternative server stack installers.

permanent link

answered 06 Nov '11, 22:31

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Thanks! That did it.

(08 Nov '11, 07:42) twneale
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×225
×87
×43

question asked: 06 Nov '11, 21:58

question was seen: 2,688 times

last updated: 08 Nov '11, 07:42

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM