WebFaction
Community site: login faq

A client of mine is unable to send me email through my account, the error message they receive is :

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

ken@XXXX.com This message was rejected by the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The following organization rejected your message: mx8.webfaction.com.

Any ideas as to why the message might be rejected by webfaction?

asked 09 Nov '11, 16:02

slotsspot
accept rate: 0%

The usual cause for this is:

• If email for the recipient domain is hosted by us, and...

• At least one @domain.com email address for the sender domain exists in the control panel, then...

• The sender address must exist in the control panel, otherwise our incoming server will generate a non-delivery report with 'sender address rejected, user unknown in virtual alias table'

So, what happens is that you might have some email addresses set up on your account for the sender domain, and maybe later you changed the MX for the sender domain to some other mail service, but left the addresses for that domain set up in our control panel. This causes our incoming mail server to validate senders for @domain.com and when it doesn't see those addresses in the mail server configuration on our side, it rejects them.

permanent link

answered 09 Nov '11, 17:32

seanf
12.2k41936
accept rate: 37%

Yep, that was it. Thanks

(09 Nov '11, 17:57) slotsspot

This is seriously not good for me if things are still this way (as they appear to be) as it means nobody at my company is able to email my personal address unless I laboriously enter all their email addresses into webfaction.

(28 Mar '16, 22:19) risicle

@risicle that shouldn't be necessary. feel free to open a support ticket and we'll look into your issue.

(28 Mar '16, 22:22) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×261

question asked: 09 Nov '11, 16:02

question was seen: 7,049 times

last updated: 28 Mar '16, 22:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM