WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So far, the only major dislike I have with the WebFaction platform is the way that additional FTP users need to be created/setup. Firstly, it's not a very simple/intuitive process. And secondly, there's the problem of the user being able to list the ~/webapps/ directory and (I think) also the /home/ directory

I'm not sure if those last two points can be fixed with the right setup, but even if that's the case, it would involve more command line work. I would really love to see a much easier way to create and manage FTP users in the control panel. Any chance of that happening?

asked 22 Nov '11, 22:55

dzv
accept rate: 0%

We would like to add more functionality in this area. We have an internal ticket for our development team with a list of functionality to add to 'extra users' however we have no ETA. The major issue with writing one is making sure it keeps permissions secure and does not break permissions ever. This can be difficult and at this point in time we do not trust a script to make these changes and so we provide documentation that covers the process so you can understand how to make the changes. We are also happy to assist you in a support ticket if you get stuck.

permanent link

answered 22 Nov '11, 23:24

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 22 Nov '11, 23:25

Yeah, I've already done it a couple of times. I got stuck in a few places, but manage to work it out. Just would be great to have a much simpler method. Is it not possible to create users in the FTP server, without creating system users?

(22 Nov '11, 23:53) dzv

It is not possible, user accounts are what the FTP server uses for authentication on our platform.

(23 Nov '11, 00:24) johns

I agree, this would be great.

permanent link

answered 23 Dec '11, 13:34

nloui

edited 23 Dec '11, 13:35

Yeah, this would be nice as it was definitely a serious downer finding out I can't create a (S)FTP-user in an easy way and that the new user can list dirs that might have wrong permissions set. I know I should always set these permissions right, but other users might make a mistake too and if I give someone access now I'd feel responsible for their sniffing around (if they'd do that). I know it's possible to do this, as I've seen other providers to it.

permanent link

answered 06 Nov '12, 15:35

Harmus

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×62

question asked: 22 Nov '11, 22:55

question was seen: 3,162 times

last updated: 06 Nov '12, 15:35

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM