WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm planning a new project which in around 1 year is expecting a high traffic, so I've read in the "features" of webfaction about scaling, so how does this scaling gets done?

I mean do I need to get 2 "shared4" and get load balanced between my instances on each plan? and what about the username of the account?, it will be the same? or do I need to have a different username for each, even if I'm sharing the same application across the plans?; in the same concern, if I have different username means It will be harder to maintain and manage in the long run, having individual copy's of the code and possibly different media-files?, I'm just guessing based in nothing so please illuminate me.

Any one have any experience in this matters, I really appreciate any suggestion.

asked 16 Nov '10, 16:04

cyraxjoe
accept rate: 0%

edited 16 Nov '10, 18:54

"I mean do I need to get 2 "shared4" and get load balanced between my instances on each plan?"

This is one option, known as DNS round robin. We would simply add another machine/SharedX plan to your account.

"and what about the username of the account?, it will be the same? "

Yes

"or do I need to have a different username for each, "

For DNS round robin it must be 2 services on 1 account.

"even if I'm sharing the same application across the plans?; "

You have to clone the apps to the new server. Both apps would than connect to 1 database, but be identical otherwise.

"The same concern, if I have different username means It will be harder to maintain and manage in the long run, having individual copy's of the code and possibly different media-files?"

This will happen if you decide to use DNS round robin as you will have to maintain the exact same data on each machine. You can set up scripts to automate this too. But you may never need to use DNS round robin, it depends on many factors and often there are other options. But it is a case by case basis.

permanent link

answered 16 Nov '10, 16:34

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 16 Nov '10, 17:51

You says, that the round robin was one option, is there another?; or this kind of situations gets handled different on each particular case?

(17 Nov '10, 00:19) cyraxjoe

By "other load-balancing options", we were referring to third-party monitor-based solutions. They work by adding a new layer into your setup; it's a new load-balancing application that then dispatches requests as appropriate. This consumes additional memory and load; round-robin, while not very robust, is extremely simple and has no such requirements.

The only detail is keeping two (or more) copies of your application synchronized. In practice, this is actually quite simple. Just use "rsync --delete" through SSH on a cron job to synchronize everything to your "main" instance automatically.

(17 Nov '10, 01:00) ryans ♦♦

In johns' comment he says that both accounts will connect to 1 database. Is this correct? Keeping the database in synch between 2 accounts is fairly difficult; the rest of the files are pretty easy as ryans pointed out.

(24 May '11, 16:24) Bc25

@Bc25 - we don't provide any kind DB replication or sync service, so what John said is essentially correct. You would need all of the apps pointing to a single database on one of the servers. Currently, we don't allow remote access to MySQL databases by default, so if you need that, just open a support ticket to let us know the name of the database, and we'll set up remote access for you.

(24 May '11, 19:43) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×32
×6
×2

question asked: 16 Nov '10, 16:04

question was seen: 3,068 times

last updated: 24 May '11, 19:43

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM