WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've set up a functioning git repo, and then created a website record to be able to browse the repo.

I'm having a problem similar to what's described in this post:

http://community.webfaction.com/questions/3019/git-http-error-500

I.e., I get a 500 error when I try to visit the website URL. The difference is that the log entry reads::

Premature end of script headers: gitweb.cgi

Instead of citing git.cgi as the source of the problem. I tried a solution similar to what's described in the above post, but with no luck.

I should add that I had the same set up working with no trouble, but that our account was recently moved from Web65 to Web300, and when I went to replicate the previous setup, I ran into this problem.

Any ideas?

asked 24 Nov '11, 21:22

mdorn
accept rate: 0%

Since the error is similar to the referenced question, but refers to gitweb.cgi instead of git.cgi, have you tried:

chmod 711 /path/to/gitweb.cgi
(24 Nov '11, 21:52) ryans ♦♦

solution as recomended by Ryan S from webfaction support, this worked for me:

The problem appears to be that you have a relatively old version of our "git" application installed.

At one point in time, we did not have git installed globally on our servers. The git installer would also compile a local git binary into your home directory, and this is located here: /home/username/webapps/git/bin/git

However, since you have moved from one operating system to another, compiled binaries won't work (they can't find the exactly-matching shared libraries they need). Typically you would have to recompile your binary software to fix this.

However, we have since included git system-wide, at /usr/bin/git, and we have also updated our git installers to use it. Therefore, you should be able to fix this by doing the following:

(1) copy the repos directory (/home/username/webapps/git/bin/repos) somewhere safe mkdir $HOME/git_backup cp -r $HOME/webapps/git $HOME/git_backup/

(2) delete your "git" application from the control panel

(3) install a new "git" application

(4) copy the repos back cp -r $HOME/git_backup/git/repos/* $HOME/webapps/git/repos/

Ryan S. WebFaction Support

permanent link

answered 23 Dec '11, 22:08

Bogdan
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111

question asked: 24 Nov '11, 21:22

question was seen: 4,100 times

last updated: 23 Dec '11, 22:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM