WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm not a regular PHP user, but I'd like to install Indefero on my Webfaction account. Given that it's written in PHP, this should be possible, but the installation process calls for installing a Debian package, Pluf, and other goodies. It's really based on the assumption of a dedicated server.

I suspect installation must still be possible to install. Does anyone have any recommendations?

asked 02 Dec '11, 16:47

Ken K
accept rate: 0%

You can install InDefero on our servers in your home directory without root privileges. I just did it by mostly following the InDefero installation guide, with a few extra WebFaction-specific steps.

Here we go:

1. Create a MySQL or PostgreSQL database in the control panel and make a note of the database name and password.
  2. Create a "Static/CGI/PHP 5.3" app in the control panel named "indefero_root". This is where we'll put Indefero and Pluf.
  3. Create a "Symbolic link to static/cgi/php53 app" in the control panel named "indefero_www", using "/home/your_username/webapps/indefero_root/indefero/www" as the symlink path in the "extra info" field. This is what we'll use to serve the site.
  4. Create a website in the control panel to serve the symlink app on whatever subdomain.
  5. SSH into your server.
  6. Run these commands to download InDefero and Pluf: download InDefero and Pluf on WebFaction
  7. Run the these commands to set up pear and to install the pear dependencies: Set up pear for PHP 5.3 on WebFaction and install Mail and Mail_mime
  8. Create "/home/your_username/webapps/indefero_root/indefero/www/php.ini" with the following contents to set your pear include path: include_path = .:/home/you_username/pear/php
  9. cd ~/webapps/indefero_root/indefero
  10. Follow the steps under the "Installation of InDefero" section in the InDefero installation guide, changing the paths there from "/home/www" to "/home/your_username/webapps/indefero_root". Be sure to enter secret key in src/IDF/conf/idf.php, and plug in your database credentials at the appropriate location.

Once you've completed those steps, your InDefero installation will be ready on the site you set up in step #4.

Caveat: before you posted this, I'd never heard of InDefero, so I didn't do any testing other than logging into the site I set up. There's all sorts of configuration options for different version control systems, etc, that I didn't touch, so you'll probably need to do a bit more tweaking in your own installation to get things the way you need them to be.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 Dec '11, 19:40

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×1
×1

question asked: 02 Dec '11, 16:47

question was seen: 3,254 times

last updated: 02 Dec '11, 19:40

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM