WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Is there a way to restrict remote access to my PostgreSQL db? I would prefer to limit remote access to one or more designated IPs. If I couldn't do that I might want to not allow any remote access to the db and only my django app running locally would have access.

asked 04 Dec '11, 21:31

jimbo
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

I am sorry but this is not possible on the shared Postgres server.

You would need to install your own Postgres server in your home directory by following the guide here.

permanent link

answered 04 Dec '11, 23:24

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

I can certainly say I'd rather that webfaction's pg_hba.conf be as locked down as possible: to the machine, to internal webfaction IP addresses, and optionally to specific servers. The DB typically contains the interesting stuff to steal. There's no technical barrier to locking it down.

(10 Jan '12, 22:32) brycenesbitt

Perhaps there is no technical limitation in a vanilla postgres installation but there are some on our shared server. Involving how we configure and deploy the configurations and the fact people like to mirror and rely on that being open without SSH. If you would like to have this done you can build your own stack in your home directory and lock it down as mentioned above.

(10 Jan '12, 23:52) johns
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×108
×84
×25
×12

question asked: 04 Dec '11, 21:31

question was seen: 3,457 times

last updated: 10 Jan '12, 23:52

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM