WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am running a server which holds packages for Emacs's package.el system. Simply put, it's the package manager for Emacs24.

The problem is, if there are multiple packages available from my repository, the TCP connection to the server remains open during the installation. The steps are,

1. Download package
  2. Compile package
  3. Install package
  4. Repeat 1-3 for next package

The problem is that -- for some larger packages -- the connection times out because of the Timeout setting in Apache.

I tried running a local instance of the Apache server, but it doesn't seem to work. Looks like nginx is the proxy and has a 65 second timeout.

It looks like in the system wide Apache configuration, Keepalive is disabled so this should technically work and tell the client not to try an re-use the connection... But I am not having luck with this.

asked 05 Dec '11, 11:00

milkypostman
accept rate: 0%

In our control panel, what app type are you using to serve the packages?

(05 Dec '11, 13:19) seanf

I've tried a number of different ones: Static/CGI/PHP, Static only (no .htaccess), and I also tried a Django/mod_wsgi one where I changed all the apache settings to enable long keep alive.

also, sorry it took me so long to reply, I didn't have notifications setup.

(10 Dec '11, 00:19) milkypostman

Keep alive connections do not persist because of the nature of the nginx proxy. Apps 'in front' of the proxy have HTTP/1.1 and have a set keepalive for 3 seconds. Apps 'behind' the proxy have HTTP/1.0 and it does not have keepalive connections.

Is it possible to use another protocol like SSH? If not directly than for testing you may want to try an SSH tunnel. That would allow you to rule nginx out as a possibility without having to change the account. If bypassing nginx does work we can open a port with a Dedicated IP address.

permanent link

answered 10 Dec '11, 01:52

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

I tried with an ssh tunnel directly to the port of a django install configured to only serve up static files and it seems to work great. So it must be the nginx proxy.

I'm not sure all what a dedicated IP implies and I don't really want to pay for it. I'll have to think about it.

(15 Dec '11, 12:25) milkypostman
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×225
×186
×18

question asked: 05 Dec '11, 11:00

question was seen: 3,757 times

last updated: 15 Dec '11, 12:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM