WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

I have three (related questions):

• I would like to know how many requests/hour one server instance can handle, for example: a basic Django instance with basic MySQL database connectivity.
  • Furthermore, related to this question, how many users are allowed on one instance? On my machine (web304.webfaction.com), I see a quad-core Xeon 5110 (which is not that fast right?, see here)..
  • What is your personal experience with the performance of Django/PHP sites?

I would like to add that I really like the ability to have ssh access and how one can set up nginx to serve static content, good job!

Kind regards,

Damir Vandic

asked 06 Dec '11, 15:21

revocode
accept rate: 0%

Hopefully some of our customers will chime in and comment on the performance of our servers and applications, which we feel is very good.

As for the processors, our servers are (with few, if any, exceptions) I/O limited. Xeon processors are solid, reliable processors for servers, but the true bottleneck always ends up coming down to I/O bandwidth. As a result, one or two CPU cores on the machine are usually idle; upgrading them further would provide little tangible benefit. Rather, we choose the components in order to optimize throughput without wasting resources.

Next, we employ cgroups to provide fair resource distribution , further reducing any issues which could arise from this strategy.

And, finally, when placing users onto servers, we take into account the server load and do our best to fairly distribute users across servers. We can also perform migrations on request, which further helps to spread load fairly.

(06 Dec '11, 22:37) ryans ♦♦

I think this is a fair answer, it is indeed more about I/O than CPU. I also see that the average cpuload on the server is quite low.

(07 Dec '11, 04:50) revocode

One more question:

what is the trade-off between ordering multiple shared instance vs 1 dedicated instance? Redundancy? Are 10 shared instances approximately one dedicated server? (the one for $250, the dual-core) Are these dedicated machines the same as the machines used for the shared instances?

(07 Dec '11, 07:19) revocode

With dedicated servers, one obvious difference is you are not sharing any resources with other users. By having multiple shared instances, you can build redundancy and load balancing into your projects. As for being equals, there are really too many variables on a shared instance to fairly compare that to a dedicated server.

The servers that are used for shared instances typically have 4 processors or more as well as larger hard drives and more memory. Only because they are supporting more users than a dedicated server would be.

(07 Dec '11, 12:21) bmeyer71 ♦♦
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×26
×4

question asked: 06 Dec '11, 15:21

question was seen: 2,354 times

last updated: 07 Dec '11, 12:21

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM